Oyo: Makinde faults COVID-19 second wave report

#ENDSARS: Makinde appeals to police officers to resume at duty posts
Governor Seyi Makinde

By Adeola Badru

Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State on Wednesday  faulted the claimed second wave of the COVID-19 as being widely speculated, saying the state is still in the first wave.
The governor made the disclosure, during a media briefing with the Governor’s Office correspondents, held at the Government House, Agodi, Ibadan, on the COVID-19 update in the state.

READ ALSOLagos govt enforces ‘no face mask, no entry’ into Alausa Secretariat

According to him, experts whom he made consultation with in the course of finding out whether there is second wave of the disease in the state, confirmed that: “There is no second wave, we are still in the first wave, because I asked the experts about what is this wave thing and they made reference to the 1918 Spanish Flu; and they said the first wave was during the winter and then they got a respite because they went through the summer, you know there is heat.”
“But here, it is summer all year round. So, we don’t summer, we dont have winter.”
“I have always said that all our responses to COVID-19 in Oyo State will be guided by data, science and logic. As far as Oyo State is concerned, the data  we have, is not pointing to a second wave.”
“For example, between when we started testing people in March 2020 and December 2020, we conducted 20,000 tests out of which about 3,000 were positive for COVID-19.”
“From December 2020 till date, we have conducted a further 14,000 test and we have had about 696 positive cases.” The data says COVID-19 is still very much with us and science is telling us that we can slow down the spread by taking precautions. The logical thing to do is to follow what science dictates.”
“We know how difficult 2020 was for a lot of us, so logically, we should not do things that will make the situation worse. This is not the time to let down our guards, we should not take any of the precautions lightly,” adding that in the last month, the state unfortunately recoded eight deaths.
The governor hinted that, his administration was doung its best to provide more resources for the Emergecy Operation Centre (EOC) to continue to manage the spread of the disease in the state.

The post Oyo: Makinde faults COVID-19 second wave report appeared first on Vanguard News.

Vanguard

Oluwaseun Ogunniyi

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next Post

Five dead, 16 injured as bus ram into truck in Ogun

Wed Jan 13 , 2021
By Bose Adelaja An accident involving a Mazda bus and a low bed truck has reportedly recorded five fatalities and injured 16 others, in Ogun State. The incident was said to have occurred at about 3 pm, at Danliti, Mowe area, along Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, when the truck was making a […]
Translate »